In 1912, in Altena Castle in Germany, Richard Schirrmann created the first permanent Jugendherberge or “Youth Hostel”. Since then hostels have sprouted up around the globe, from New York, Rome, Buenos Aires and Miami.
But that’s not all. There are a number of hostel chains that have expanded globally, similar to the big hotel chains.
So what’s the secret? Here are the top 12 reasons the industry booming:
1. Cheap beds: Hostel accommodation in cities like London, Paris or Barcelona for €20 per night is unbeatable.
2. Meeting people: Hostels are full of people that want to meet other people, get to know new cultures and share their travel stories.
3. Top locations: Many hostels are in city center locations, making them an affordable alternative to expensive hotels.
4. Inexpensive food: Many hostels have kitchens that guests can use to prepare their own meals.
5. Fun: Hostels often arrange tours, night outs, pub crawls and other activities that offer guests a stay that will be filled with fun.
6. Meeting locals: Most hostel staff will interact with guests in a way that you won’t find at a hotel. They will share local knowledge and make introductions that helps guests enjoy their stay like a local.
7. Consumer spending: More and more people have less and less disposable income; but not traveling or not going on vacation is not an option – hostels provide an affordable solution.
8. Consumer trends: The youth of today is very keen on traveling and most are prepared to travel budget style as long as they can travel.
9. Informal: Hostels tend to be easy going, without formal procedures of checking in or fancy services such as room service – many people prefer this laid back and easy going environment.
10. Laundry rooms: Especially for backpackers who often travel during weeks or sometimes even months, doing the laundry is vital – many hostels offer this and of course at much better rates than any hotel.
11. Community: Most youth hostels offer a unique community atmosphere that is not only inspiring for travelers but also a comforting experience while away from home.
12. Flexible: Most youth hostels offer a variety of additional services, allowing every guest to pick what they want and only pay for they need.
Have you stayed at a youth hostel lately? Do you own a hostel or budget accommodation? Share your thoughts and experiences below.
Get the latest
Stay in the loop with the best stories and trends.